CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

How Do I Tell My Class?!?! Suggestions please!! :)

Only 3 more days (well technically 2 1/2 more days now...) of school left for this school year. I'm packing up my room to make my move to my new school and I honestly think I'm in robot mode. I'm not allowing myself to be emotional about this at all. However, I think come Friday, I'll need to invest in some waterproof makeup because it's going to be awful. Children crying = Mrs. Brasher crying.

I still haven't told my kids I won't be back next year. Yes I know, shame on me... it's selfish and I admit it, but I know I have several kids that are going to be absolutely heartbroken. I know I need to tell them, probably tomorrow since I'll have some that won't show up on the last day - I always do. But how? How do I tell them that they won't get to give me random hugs in the hallway, or drop in and say hello to the little 3rd graders now that they're big 4th graders? HOW?!

I'm planning on bringing the baby up here to see the staff and kids after school starts while I'm on my maternity leave, so I know that will be a little bit of a consolation. I'm also keeping up our class website and posting over the summer so they can know what's going on with me and baby Liam, as well as giving them my e-mail so they can keep in touch. I have several that that's helped over the years. I also found a great idea somewhere (somewhere out there in blog land or possibly Pro Teacher...) that I'm going to print off a picture of the class, mount it on cardstock, and have them write notes to each other on it so they can frame it.

I'm totally open to any ideas that might make this news less of a blow... I hate to just gather them up and be like "Oh, btw, I won't be returning to this school next year because I'll be teaching 3rd graders at another school. Sorry!" Obviously I wouldn't be that cavalier, but you get my point. I'd love some suggestions!! Thanks sooo much!!! :) Y'all are always the best!!

2 comments:

  1. I totally feel your pain. I had to sit mine down and come out with it... but only because our guidance counselor spilled the beans before I could tell them. :( They were heartbroken at first. I soon heard different plans to kidnap me and keep me at their school. :) They'll still love you when it's all said and done. I hope it goes well when you tell them. I'll be thinking about you.

    Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know kids are a whole lot stronger than we give them credit for. I am not saying that it is going to be easy. They are going to miss you and be upset because you have positively influenced them in so many ways and they love you. You are someone that they look up to. I think that you updating them via your website is a fabulous idea. I would tell them that they could email you throught the summer and into next year. I hope that everything goes well for you and I will be thinking about you. Enjoy your time off and RELAX(something that is very hard or teachers to do!)

    Elise

    ReplyDelete